Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Reflections from a Roadtrip



Welp, we're on our way back to school from our escapade to Colorado; driving through the rockies, listening to Jack Johnson. Needless to say, the circumstances make it basically inevitable to fall into reflection and thought. I've been thinking a lot about a discussion we had in our New Testament class last week...which lead me to this:

America is a polytheistic society. And it's not a novelty in any sense.

What is it that becomes the center of our worship? What is our credo, or basis of belief? Growing up, I associated with a lot of kids that worshipped the god of music. They lived and breathed and stepped in time to the beats and rhythms pulsating through their permanently attached headphones; the lyrics became their biblical guide to life. Others worship the god of counter-culture, mindlessly opposing anything seen as the societal norm; Which reminds me a bit of all these shenanigans regarding prop 8: when I walk into a restaurant and see a "No gays allowed" sign posted, THEN we can start calling this a civil rights issue. There is so much ridiculous propaganda (going both ways) about the issue, but this isn't about love or hate, it's about defining marriage. I find it incredible to see how quick people are to try and connect current events to past ones in an attempt to justify their position. But alas, I digress....
Some people worship sex, their car, novelty, or their cyber-facebook-self-image. Many Christians, probably unconsciously, now bow down to the bible as their god instead of understanding that it's a book of history and philosophy, prophecy and revelation. Inspired or not, it's a book, not God.

We live in a culture that ridicules people that take a more traditional approach to worshipping God. In our society, so self-conscious of possibly being labled "intolerant," how do so many react? With intolerance.

How thankful I am for prayer. How thankful I am to be able to kneel before a loving Heavenly Father that hears and answers my daily supplications.

Ross


2 comments:

kels said...

totally agree with um, all of the above. ya nailed it on the head roscoe! :) Did you read that talk on technology from Ballard last year?(given at a BYU-Hawaii commencement) Cuz you're doing a pretty job of following his advice! :)

Lisa said...

Wow, you really have some great insights. I especially agree with what you said about worshiping the things of the world. I have seen so many people get caught up in their personal “idols” that they can’t see the things that really important.

One result that I find most depressing concerning wordly worship is the disintegration of the family. I have always been close to my family, and so naturally I value them highly. I am so glad for the relationship that I share with them, but with all the distractions of worldly idols, family is one of the first essentials to go. It is sadly ironic that it is also the most important unit of society and the basis of salvation. As you mentioned proposition eight, it struck me how brutally the family unit is being destroyed. But, like you, I am glad that we have prayer to see us through such troubled times.