Monday, October 3, 2011

Giuseppina Morabito


Last week, I found out that my friend Giusy Morabito passed away. I met Giusy (short for Giuseppina) in the city of Sanremo in the fall of 2007.


I was working with the other missionary in our district, Anziano Hill, and we had decided to pray about where to go knock on doors. We decided on an apartment complex a little ways up the hill, and after ringing at a few doors, someone asked us to come on up. Giusy, who was around 60 years old then, was there with some friends, and it was really weird how friendly they were; they acted like we were supposed to be there for the party or something. Anyway they asked us a few questions, and we told them briefly about who we were and about our message, and Giusy said we could come back any time we wanted. We began to come back and teach her, and she began to warm up to our message more and more. When we would talk about repentance, she was visibly sad about things that she had done in her past. She began to come to church, and in February of 2008 she was baptized a new member of the Sanremo branch.


Giusy had battled with breast cancer in the past, and while I have yet to hear for certain her cause of death, I'm assuming it was related to that. I've always looked back on my time spent with Giusy very fondly-although I taught many people in Italia, she was the only Italian that ever joined the church during the time I was serving in the area. She had marvelous faith, and a great desire to come closer to God and to find peace in her life.

In my young life I have yet to encounter death come to those close to me. Occasionally I'll go to bed thinking about what it would feel like to lose someone, and thinking about how blessed I have been so far in my life to have my close family and friends with me still. I can only imagine that Giusy is at peace now, and that the many sufferings she dealt with in life have finally left her. I'm grateful for the great influence she was on my life and all those around her.

The video I posted above is by my favorite Italian artist: Jovanotti. Some of the lyrics to the song are:

"Ma l'unico pericolo che sento veramente,
E' quello di non riuscire piĆ¹ a sentire niente...
Io lo so che non sono solo,
Anche quando sono solo.

Io lo so che non sono solo."

"The only fear that I really feel
is to no longer be able to feel anything at all
I know that I'm not alone,
Even when I'm alone.

I know that I'm not alone."


0 comments: