Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Volte Si Parla D'amore...

This is the kind of blog post I try extra hard to never do. The kind that talks about serious things; the kind that spits out to the public (of like...4 people) what is rambling around aimlessly in my head. But I'll make it quick. And here it goes:

One of the most profound things I've heard in the last little while about dating and about love came from ELDER'S QUORUM. I know miracle right? Amongst the legions of 20-somethings flinging angry birds at walls and checking ESPN on their smart phones, my friend Robby Meldau related dating to pizza, and it totally clicked for me. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I shouldn't be surprised. Not only do I love food but since I did live in Italy as missionary and all... Anyway I can't remember the context of the conversation, but he talked about how we are always too eager to make a relationship work every time there's a little spark. Every time we feel anything at all, we get all overly excited and impatient about this one, being THE one. The analogy was that we often try to "pull the pizza out of the oven too early, before it's done." And it's so true. Be patient, let things run their proper course and the reward will be so great.

Also I'm hungry.

My second thought is something I'm sometimes guilty of, but I think a lot of us do it. The old saying is "don't put all your eggs in one basket," but sometimes I think that's the worst thing you can do in dating and relationships. Sure it's important to date around, to have lots of friends of the opposite gender to get perspective, but if you like someone, and you think it's right, go all in. The worst thing you can do is to be enamored with someone one day, and then worry about getting hurt and hang out with 4 other people during the week just so that if the first option doesn't work, you can pretend it never mattered to you that much anyway. We all need ways to cope with rejection and frustrations, but be brave, have hope, and most of all, be honest with yourself and those around you.

Sorry if that got a little weird, haha. Just to ruin the whole mood of the post...sometimes planking makes me laugh, even though it's so dumb. Something about seeing a 7 foot man (Javale McGee) in a freezer (with PIZZAS. There's the connection!) just gets me every time.


0 comments: